Don’t we all wish that the request to become a bridesmaid came with fine print that we could read to make sure it is something we want to take on? Sometimes hours on the phone discussing every single detail isn’t as exactly as exciting as you thought for a bridesmaid, and it can be stressful planning a wedding that isn’t your own.
What Every Bridesmaid Should Know (that no one tells you)
1. Your opinion is no more…Opinions, sometimes you might not even be sure you have one. From chocolate overtones on the wedding cake to the font used on the invitations, you have been asked your thoughts on it all. It’s flattering she thinks so highly of your opinion, you suppose, but just the other day you had a long debate about the merits of ice cream station as a reception closing and had an outer body experience.
2. The DRESS….NO, not THE DRESS, but the one that you will be wearing or made to wear rather. Clearly, you appreciate that it’s the brides choice, however, we all would love to select our own bridesmaids dress, but it’s her day. Even so, it’s no excuse to ever wear yellow taffeta.
3. BTW you will have to get along with the other bridesmaids…We have all seen the infamous “Bridesmaids,” getting along with the other members of the bridal party is an unspoken law: simply put, to make things easy as possible for the bride you must (to the best of your abilities) get along with the other members of the bridal party. Otherwise, you will become an outsider, a lone wolf, separated from the pack. Don’t be that wolf!
4. You will get sick of talking about weddings…There, we said it! Wasn’t it easy
5.The SHOES…Most Brides allow you to select your own shoe, but specified color if your gal pal doesn’t allow that option refer to number 2
6. You should to volunteer to help. Remember this can be a stressful time for the Bride because of various factors while trying to plan a very special day. If she seems overwhelmed PLEASE offer your assistance in any way to relieve some of the extra stress of wedding planning. She will be thankful.
7. SHUT UP! Yes, literally, shut up! You will have to bite your tongue. It is a an unspoken rule of a bridesmaid to not be negative in any way. No negativity regarding friends, family, the groom of the bride, etc. If she is over the top in love with a dress while wedding dress shopping, but you aren’t feeling it do NOT state your opinion. This is a time to feel joyful and uplift the Bride as planning and preparing can be stressful, and emotional support is needed.
Happy Planning Beauties & Gents!